Friday, January 25, 2013

Overwhelmed & Giddy

So Monday night Jeff texts me, “Don’t make plans for Wednesday.” I acted like I didn’t know what he was talking about, but I was hoping we would get to go look at rings. Wednesday comes and I don’t hear from him all day and finally he calls me and says he had a crazy day at work and he hadn’t expected to work this late and I still had to go all the way home to take care of the animals, and the jewelry store I wanted to go to was way up in BFE and I thought it wasn’t going to happen again and I almost cried. I hate being a girl. I told him that it was fine if he wasn’t ready blah blah blah and he said, “If I wasn’t ready, we wouldn’t be doing this” and we went – yay!


We walked into the big store and talked to a guy and Jeff made small talk with him and I was totally overwhelmed. Because you know, the rings are just settings without the stones though they had stones on display too. The guy explains that they don’t carry designer rings; they make their own designs and he rattled off some names and I told him that I was fine with that because I didn’t have any idea who he was talking about anyway, to which he chuckled. Jeff and I looked around for a while and I was totally, completely overwhelmed.
Me: How do you guys DO this? I’m overwhelmed.
Jeff [with a smile]: We just usually like to get it over with.
Another worker asked how we were doing.
Me: I need guidance.
Him: You need diamonds?
Me [laughing]: No, I need guidance.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that Jeff and I both have the same taste in rings. We each pointed out ones we thought were worthy of trying on.
Me: What about a swirl?
Jeff: Oh God no.
Which was great because I don’t like swirl rings anyway.
Jeff: We’re not buying anything today.
Me: I understand that.
Finally a lady helped us and we started to try some settings on with sapphires. “What’s your budget?” she asked.
I looked to Jeff. “Four to eight thousand,” he said. [I have no idea if he was serious, or just trying to impress me. He’s not often serious…]
I gave him a look and said, “I will KILL you if you spend that much on a ring.”
Jeff: I think you’re going to have sticker shock…
We told the lady to start on the low end and we would work our way up. The display cases were kind of in an L shape. At the end of the L, the diamonds on display were $11k and up.
Me: Um, we need to figure out…do they start at the low end down there and go up in price to here? Or are they all mixed in?
Jeff [laughing]: Yes, we definitely need to figure that out.
The lady helping us had me try on some halo rings with sapphires. I tried one on with a lot of bling; a sapphire surrounded by diamonds in a “halo.”
Jeff: Too Lady Gaga.
I agreed with him.
Jeff: You really like the halo, huh?
Me: Yeah. [then looking at him] You know what a halo is?
Jeff: Well I didn’t know what it was called until now but yeah…[neither did I frankly until I did some research on the internet] You didn’t think I’d have an opinion, did you?
Me: Um, no not really.
He smiled.
We eventually found what we liked and didn’t like…told the lady, a little more of this, a little less of that…
While we were waiting for her to get some stones from the “vault,” Jeff said, “Maybe I should pick out my ring.” So we looked. “What should we spend on it,” he asked? “$500?”
Me: Yep, that’s what I spent on Jamie’s.
He picked his out in like two minutes.
Jeff [teasing]: Well if only yours was that easy….

I wanted a sapphire but I actually did end up trying on some diamonds and found a diamond ring I really liked…but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. We had been there for over an hour and then FINALLY she pulled out this ring and OMIG. It was vintage-looking and she put the sapphire in it and what do you know? It was EXACTLY what I had in my head, I just didn’t know it. I took pictures of it and could look at it all day:) She wrote down the ring type – it comes with a matching wedding band which is also what I wanted – a set - and it’s GORGEOUS. She measured my finger to get my ring size and two hours later – an hour after they closed – Jeff and I finally went to get something to eat.

I’m giddy. I know nothing will happen for a few months and I’m okay with that but I’m also very happy he took me shopping:) I made sure to get the pics of my phone onto my computer so Sophie didn’t come across them…Oh, and guess what? The ring I LOVE – the very LAST one we tried on - is also the least expensive one we tried on. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

SHOUT IT!